The main founder, Dr Olive Shisana has been recognised for her outstanding contribution to knowledge production as well as for service to society.
Recognition for excellence
- National Science and Technology Forum 2004 Award of the Dr. T.W. Kambule Senior Black Researcher over the last 5 to 10 years; sponsored by the National Research Foundation Category of the Outstanding contribution to the Science, Engineering and Technology (awarded in 2005).
- National Science and Technology Forum 2004 Scroll of Honour in recognition of an outstanding contribution to Science, Engineering and Technology Runner-up, in the Category; Individual research and its outputs over the last five years or less. (awarded in 2005)
- Elected to membership by the Executive Board of the Alpha Chapter of the Delta Omega Honorary Society in Public Health, at Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, 2011.
- Winner of the Academy of Science of South Africa’s “Science for Society” Gold Medal award, 2013
- Awarded the degree of Doctor of Laws honoris causa by Monash University in 2014 in recognition of contribution to public health.
Recent Leadership Positions
- Former CEO of the Human Sciences Research Council (2005 -2015)
- Local Co-Chair of the 2016 International AIDS (Global) Conference held in Durban, South Africa (2014-2016)
- Chair of the working Group of the High Level Panel on Poverty, Inequality, Unemployment, and Wealth Distribution. The Panel was established by Parliament and chaired by the Former President of South Africa (December 2015-Present)
- Chair of the Board of the Child Health and Mortality Prevention Surveillance (CHAMPS) Network (December 2016-Present)
- Member of the International Board of Africa Health Research Institute (December 2016- Present)
- Department of Health: 10 years of Democracy; recognition for contribution to South Africa’s public health by the Minister of Health, September 2004.
- Winner in the Public and Utilities Sector of the CEO Magazine’s South Africa’s Most Influential Woman in Business and Government awards, 2008/9.
- Top Female Public Sector Leader Award Human Science & Research Council (HSRC) by the 11th Standard Bank Top Women awards